Friday, February 4, 2011

A Study in 1 John
















I am currently preaching through the book of 1 John when I have my opportunities to preach to our church on Sunday nights. I just started this series titled "Live. Love. Learn." Sunday, January 30. I would like to use this section of my blog to discuss the messages in this series and get feedback. I really believe it is important to find ways to hear from your audience. If you have any questions or comments related to this series, feel free to post those through the response section below (you may have to click on the "comments"). First, let me give a brief overview of the background of this first epistle of John.

Background of 1 John
Author:
The Apostle John, the son of Zebedee, the disciple whom Jesus loved

John's Closeness with Jesus:
  • He was the first to follow Jesus (John 1:35-37)
  • He was the closest to Jesus at the Last Supper (John 13:22-25)
  • He followed Jesus to His trial (John 18:5)
  • He only went to Jesus' cross and was given a direct command from Jesus (John 19:26-27)
  • He outran Peter to the empty tomb and was the first apostle to believe in Jesus' resurrection (John 20:1-8)
  • He was the first to recognize Jesus appearing to them at His Galilean visitation (John 21:7)
 Date:
AD 80-97

Purpose:
To help ground believers in their faith so they can enjoy the Christian life
To combat some false teaching
To help believers understand the assurance of their salvation

Themes:
Knowledge
Love
Obedience

Last week, I said that John, through his first epistle, seems to be calling believers everywhere to answer four personal questions:
1. How am I responding to my sin against God?
2. How am I demonstrating my love for God?
3. How am I growing in my knowledge of God?
4. How am I trusting in my relationship with God?

How do you see these themes coming through in John's first epistle? Does the background information given help you make sense of the book? For example, does knowing that the book is written to Christians about assurance of salvation and not unbelievers about salvation help you relate the message?

Do you have any questions related to the introduction of 1 John? Is there anything you may not be understanding that you would like clarification on as we start this study? Is there anything you heard me say in my message "Introduction to 1 John" that you would like me to elaborate on? If so, feel free to leave those questions here on this blog as I will try to answer them the best I can. Click on "comments" below this post to respond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment